- Applicants must have completed their sophomore or junior year of undergraduate training before the start of the program.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 ("B") or higher. Strong performance in science, math, and related coursework is especially important.
- Students from all groups that are under-represented in science are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students currently enrolled full-time at a U.S. college or university.
- International applicants will be required to provide official authorization for Optional Practical Training (OPT) from their home institution, prior to their arrival in Pittsburgh.
- A $3,500 stipend will typically be paid in 3 installments: $500 by the end of May, $1,500 on June 30 and $1,500 on July 31, 2020.
- SURP fellows will receive double-occupancy housing at no cost in a modern, on-campus dormitory.
- Travel expenses up to $500 will be reimbursed.
- Fellows will be responsible for their own meals and other expenses.