- Applicants must have completed their sophomore or junior year of undergraduate training before the start of the program.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 ("B") or higher. Strong performance in science, math, and related coursework is especially important.
- Students from all groups that are under-represented in science are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students currently enrolled full-time at a U.S. college or university.
- International applicants will be required to provide official authorization for Optional Practical Training (OPT) from their home institution, prior to their arrival in Pittsburgh.
- A $5,000 stipend will typically be paid in 3 installments: $1,500 the first week, $1,750 on June 31 and $1,750 on July 30, 2021.
- The University will not be providing on campus housing this year due to COVID 19. You will need to secure your own off campus housing for the summer.
- Travel expenses up to $500 will be reimbursed.
- Fellows will be responsible for their own meals and other expenses.
- Research at the University of Pittsburgh is continuing and thus SURP participants will be able to partake in lab-based research during the summer of 2021.
- While we welcome applications for SURP 2021, students should be aware that University housing will not be provided this year and preference will be given to applicants who have access to local housing. To help us plan better, please indicate in your personal statement whether your participation is contingent on University housing or whether you would be able to arrange your own housing locally.
- All SURP participants will be required to adhere to University-mandated COVID-19 precautions. These may include, but are not limited to, a period of self-isolation, mask wearing, social distancing and random virus testing.